Nearly every morning I start my day off with 2 hot beverages – green tea and coffee. However, this past spring, I decided to give up coffee for Lent. (Whhhhaaaat?!?) Yes, I really did. It was starting to feel like a bad habit, so Lent gave me a good reason to give it up. (I’ve since started drinking coffee again… don’t judge.)
During Lent, I wanted to replace coffee with something else so that I didn’t feel like anything was missing – in other words, I wanted to “crowd out” coffee. I chose to drink warm lemon water first thing in the morning, followed by my green tea later in the morning. I chose lemon water because lemons are a nutrient-packed citrus fruit full of vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, and fiber. With all of those vitamins and minerals, it’s possible to reap a few of these benefits…
- Boost Your Immune System: vitamin C helps the immune system stay strong, warding off infection and keeping you healthy.
- Detoxify Your Body: lemons increase the enzymes in the liver, helping to flush toxins out of the body more efficiently.
- Keep Skin Looking Fresh: full of antioxidants and vitamin C (which assists in production of collagen, preventing wrinkles), lemons offer an anti-aging benefit from the inside out.
- Boost Heart Health, Brain and Nerve Function: potassium aids in heart health, as well as brain and nerve function.
- Bring Your Body To An Alkaline State: although lemons are an acidic fruit, they are actually alkalizing to the body. Our bodies function best in an alkaline state, whereas acidic environments invite inflammation and disease.
Lemon water is a great alternative if you crave a warm beverage to start your day, but want to avoid the caffeine found in coffee.
Do you start your day with warm lemon water? How does it make you feel?